Tuesday, June 29, 2010

This bud's for me?

What's that? Let me mute this a sec.

I don't know, the jury is still out.

On Saturday I listened to 'This American Life' in the privacy of my own little portable head phone/hd radio I got as a premium from the local NPR station.

What I had been promised was a day sponsorship in memory of Loret from me and the boys. On her birthday. But they missed that day. So they tried again, on the anniversery of her death - May 27 - and the one time I tuned in to hear it (out of three total), Garrison Keillor made no mention of my deceased spouse. The times they gave me, I was later told, were only approximate. Anyway, the message had indeed aired they assured me, and a friend mentioned hearing it. And besides, I am such a huge fan of public radio, it is like icing on the cake - a 'premium' that is - I'm very happy to support one of the last vestiges of independent journalism.

Saturday's T.A.L. episode was rather brilliant, I laughed out loud several times - like a lunatic, such outbursts coming from no stimuli apparent to my sons. I wanted to call them over to listen, but didn't, they couldn't without interrupting the flow of the story, turning on the radio, and maybe the funny part was done anyway, etc. Sometimes when the show is on the radio they will listen in. (But more often ask me to please turn it down as they watch Scrubs or Family Guy, or some other wholesome show. Or play a video game.)

While it is true the sound quality was superior to our usual radio, and I could move from room to room, push a vacuum or broom, lift a barge, tote a bale, whatever. Maybe sit down and write a symphony or play Halo 3. Or in my case do my p.t. exercises then eat lunch.

Which seems just about as complicated an activity as I could be expected to do - and still enjoy the show. But I'm not sure I even want to do that. I'll try it again, maybe wear it to the gym tomorrow. It's not like I talk to many folks in the gym anyway. But when people wear the ear buds listening to god knows what, it's like they aren't there - or I'm not.

Old dog, new trick? Maybe. I'll see how the gym goes. If I remember, that is.


Next day update: went to the gym today. Instead of the hd radio I went with my son Eli.
Also, here is a blog my sister mentioned that teases out some of the baby boomer generation's angst/disgust about the new media: http://www.londonlee.com/page/2

2 comments:

  1. I think it's rather lovely (pronounced raaathurrr) that you do these sweet things in honor/memoriam of your love. I appreciate them - even if I do not hear them - and I am quite certain that your charming sons feel the same (when they tune back in) ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. clever name, oh amphibian without end. but who might you be, that is who in this earthly realm, with earthly hat and pedestrian roles? (if you say 'finite princess,' i'm not buying it...or kissing it either.)

    ReplyDelete