Sunday, August 28, 2016

Affirmative racial profiling?

You tell me.

I am not generally a big fan of fast food, but I do every now and than drive through and get some Taco Bell fare.  Clearly not really Mexican - or even as close as Chipotle gets - but as a vegetarian, the options aren't too bad.  For fast food at least.

I mention the drive through as that is generally what I can manage, particularly in these dog days of summer.  So on top of the questionable content of the 'food', there is the added layer of bad karma I might generate for not even going inside, using those extra ounces of petrol idling, etc.  I can be a rather harsh self-judge.

Now, I have always been quite impressed with the person who takes my order, and then at the window fills it.  Admittedly, s/he did not have to prepare all the food items, mainly needing only to fill a cup with water or soda, ask whether I would like any sauce (yes please, 'fire'), fill the bag with my one or two items, napkins, sauce packets, a straw.  Which is all rather prosaic, or mundane, any sorry sack of a teenager could manage it.  Perhaps even could.

But wait, here is the heroic part:  while they are occupied physically filling my order, they are talking into their headsets to the next customer, saying things like 'welcome to Taco Bell', or 'is it correct on the screen?'  Or, if dealing with difficult customers like me, having to write 'taco: substitute beans for meat', or who knows what kind of other special orders they get.  Then have it ready soon after I drive up to the window, and take my payment, often a credit card, but otherwise count out the change.  It has long fascinated me that a person can do this so seamlessly, and only rarely mess up the order.  And since having to deal now with cognitive loss due to MS (and perhaps MA, middle age), I'm even more impressed.  Meanwhile, these super heroes earn a hunger wage of the minimum or I hope something more.

Now, ladies and gentlemen of the jury I wish to present to you my feeble attempts at social engineering to address the apparent (to me at least) injustice of workers earning such a (likely) low wage for such (to me at least) a challenging job.  (Please note the three parenthetic qualifiers in that last sentence.)  I tried offering a tip, but was told they can't take tips.  My response?  I would just hand it to them, saying it a 'gift' or 'a little something for you.'  So far so good, you perhaps might agree.  However, the reality of ethnic, gender, and racial politics will now raise its ugly head.

While I'm engaged in this tiny, possibly laughable, attempt of narrowing the enormous American wealth gap, it occurs to me that some gender and ethnic/racial groups are in even greater need of such intervention.  How about that woman, maybe she is a mother or pregnant?  (In general there is a strong correlation between the two, that is, being female, and...what's that, you got it?)  Or, even if not, she faces an economy which pays her on average 70% of what a man would earn for the same work.   Or, take that African American young man?  He faces far more obstacles in finding gainful employment.  Even a white ex-convict has better chances of getting called back for an interview than he, according to studies cited in my earlier blog post titled 'Dharma Brothers' about my experience teaching meditation at the DC jail.  (I have since begun teaching at the Arlington Co. jail.)  To say nothing of the perils of life in a country that almost criminalizes 'driving while black', or congregating 'menacingly' on street corners while non-white.  Or, while smoking weed at the same rate as white Americans, but getting busted almost four times as often.  (If you find this figure hard to believe, you can check out this article at http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/06/04/race-marijuana/2389677/
While some may consider USA Today to be an ultra liberal publication, this widely documented and unfair treatment of blacks and other minorities results in prisons hugely over populated by non-whites, earning the criminal justice system's moniker of the 'new Jim Crow.'  And the non-white woman?  I can only imagine the obstacles she faces, particularly if she is a mother.

Or NOT, as my wife - who is African American (which I mention only to give her opinion some wider cred than if she were 'white-privileged' like me) - has pointed out to me as I have described my little 'system' to her.  That is, just by knowing somebody's race or ethnicity or gender can I have the least bit of knowledge what they face?  Their own individual history?  Of course not, I am dealing here in generalities, much as an affirmative action program might attempt to address the legacy of centuries of slavery, terrorism (the KKK, for example), segregation, substandard or so called 'separate but [not]-equal' schools, etc.  Or, on the darker side of things, racial profiling by law enforcement based upon little more than stereotypes - and fear - of 'the other.'  I would put my efforts more in line with the affirmative action, but the message I send might feel a bit more like a benevolent racial profiling.

For a short time I followed the metric of a dollar for the white employee, 2 for the white woman, three for the man of color, and four for the woman of color.  Which usually meant that my 'non-tip' was more than my tab.  After a short while this seemed to possibly send a potentially negative message.  Especially if the employees ever mentioned among themselves the odd fellow who 'tips', and how much.  Such as, 'what, he gave you that much?  That jerk only gave me....'  So now, I tip each employee 2 dollars, regardless of grouping, my short term dalliance with the race/ethnic/gender questions now over.  Bottom line, if you work at Taco Bell, you need it.

But, may I ask the one or two of 'my followers' who have soldiered on all this way, just how far-fetched this exercise has been?  Much ado about very little, to be sure.  But on principle, had it any merit in your opinion?

2 comments:

  1. I totally get your original metric; I too have invoked a calculus of kindness based on signifiers. But I don't anymore. When there's leisure enough - think waitperson or taxi driver - I try to engage people, and for a while I would calibrate my tips (up) on the basis of shared values or spirit, but I realized even that is a bleak accommodation to our broken fabric. Now I give the same overgenerous tip to the racist trump supporting taxi driver, the immigrant African waitress, and the invisible housecleaning staff. Because the only thing I really know about any of them for sure is that they don't make enough...

    ReplyDelete
  2. do you even know that much? it's perhaps likely, just as from your comments it sounds likely that you would answer my question (has this concept any merit?) in the affirmative, though it was not spelled out. i think we've come to a similar conclusion - tip generously if we can, for generosity is it's own reward. wait, that wasn't your or my conclusion...

    ReplyDelete